The Church of the Holy Trinity in Houtzdale was founded in 1884. The Church was erected in that year under the guidance of Rev. F. C. Cowfer, Priest-In-Charge of Clearfield County south of the Susquehanna River, and the Rev. A. S. R. Richards, Deacon. Though originally part of the Diocese of Pittsburgh, it was incorporated into the Diocese of Erie, when it was founded in 1910, and became part of the Valley Missions which then included Houtzdale, Osceola Mills, Hawk Run and Gearhartville. The Church was founded by early English settlers, mostly coal miners, and unable financially to support a full time priest. The Diocese of Erie was later renamed to the Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania.
The Church was originally designed in Gothic style with exposed beams and tricolored, arched windows. Excavation of the basement was done by shovel and wheelbarrow by the men of the Church in 1949 and was ready for use before the winter set in. In the 1960's the Church was remodeled and updated during the tenures of Fr. John Shaffer and Fr. George Hough. The kitchen, hall and restroom was updated in 2012.
We are proud of our heritage in Houtzdale, where we have witnessed the hard work of our forefathers, and we are proud to continue to serve the Lord in our community by perseverance, compassion and caring for our community, our family, and the world.